In combination with a mixing console that has MIDI communication capability, it's possible to control a DME unit remotely. When a Yamaha digital mixing console is utilized, the following settings are needed.
[With M7CL, LS9 series]:
- Set up the mixser's Control Change function (TABLE mode) so that MIDI control change messages can be transmitted when the parameters of particular channel are changed.
- With DME Designer, assign a DME component parameter kind that should be changed when the message is received on the DME.
- However, by this method, the parameters on the mixer side are also changed in parallel with transmitting Control Change messages, and of course it will effect on audio. For this reason, it's recommended that an unused mixer channel should be utilized for remote control purpose.
[With DM2000, DM1000, 02R96, 01V96]:
- Set up the mixer's Remote Layer (USER DEFINED) so that MIDI messages can be transmitted when the faders or switches are moved or pressed.
- The USER DEFINED function can send arbitrary format MIDI messages. This means not only Control Change but also Parameter Change and Program Change can be programmed to send to the DME.
- With DME Designer, assign the corresponding DME parameter kind for the Control Change/Parameter Change message. Also it's possible to assign Scene number for the Program Change message.
- It's an advantage that Remote Layer can control the DME without occupying any channel of the mixer.
- Using MIDI REMOTE page on the PM5D, it's possible to transmit arbitrary MIDI commands without occupying any channel of the mixer.